Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Emily's Roots

I must say that I have truely neglected this blog.  So, My new goal is to try to update at least once a week- even if it is just a picture or little blurb.
So, for today's post...
In Science, Emily is learning about plants.  Today's lesson was focused on the roots and their job. 
The book says, "Roots hold the plant in the ground.  They also take minerals and water from the soil and send them through the stem to all parts of the plant.... Roots of plants hold the soil in place to keep it from washing away in a rainstorm."
After discussing this, we took it a step further and applied it to our lives.  We talked about having our roots dug deep down like a mighty oak so when the storms of life come, you will hold firm.  If we plant our roots firmly into the Word of God, the *minerals and water* will help us to grow spiritually.  It will help us in each and every avenue of our lives. 
After our lengthy disscussion, Emily got this look on her face that only I recognize.  She was trying to act as if all was ok but I knew something was troubling her.  I thought that it might have been my examples of storms that upset her.  She ended up breaking down and crying. I have heard of children with sensitive hearts but not until Emily came along, have I been able to first hand witness it.  She wants to get her roots planted firmly in the Word so we have decided to amp up or Bible reading and prayer lives.  She is such a blessing to our family and I hold dear to those things that can break the heart of a little eight your old girl.

Jeremiah 17:8 :For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when the heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yeilding fruit."

No comments: